BIGU (Qigong Fasting) — The Most Powerful Way to
Activate Self-Healing Potential
(Special Training Information with Dr. Kevin W Chen)
服气辟谷 清肠练气 延年益寿
[March 27-30, 2020 in Baltimore, MD]
Background: Energetic fasting, or Bigu (避谷), has long been a tradition for health and longevity in Daoist & Buddhist practice. There are many documented benefits from reduced calorie-intake and fasting, especially in terms of slowing down aging process, detoxifying body, cleansing digest system, and increasing bio-energy balance. A recent research reported that fasting for 2 days could promote cell regeneration of the immune system. The 2016 Nobel Prize for medicine, finding the mechanism of autophagy in cells, supports the health benefits of fasting. Autophagy is the process of utilizing and recycling unnecessary or dysfunctional cellular components—the so-called cellular rubbish which accumulates in cells. Autophagy becomes especially intensive when an organism is under stress, e.g. when going through fasting. In this case a cell produces energy using its internal resources, that is, cellular rubbish, including pathogenic bacteria. The Nobel Prize winner’s discovery indicates that abstaining from food and keeping fasts is wholesome—the body truly cleans itself during fasting.
A recent review of fasting studies in scientific literature (Longo & Mattson 2013, Cell Metabolism) came to the conclusion that “fasting has the potential to delay aging and help prevent and treat diseases while minimizing the side effects caused by chronic dietary interventions.” Scientists have shown a link between long-living calorie-restricted mice and the types of microbes residing in the guts of those mice. The finding, published in 2013 Nature Communications, suggests a novel mechanism of living longer by establishing the right kind of microbes in our gut through a low-calorie diet.
In June 2000, a national conference was hold in Penn State University to explore health benefits and scientific research of Qigong Bigu with 500+ attendants. With appropriate guidance and careful monitoring, Qigong fasting (with gulping qi and other qigong exercises) can be a safe and effective way for health and healing, and for boosting outcomes of Qigong practice. http://www.scribd.com/doc/40294944/Bigu-Conference-Report-PennState-June-2000
Some recent studies (Cheng et al. 2014; Brandhorst et al. 2015) reported that fasting can regenerate the entire immune system, here is how: Brandhorst et al (2015) claims that “A periodic diet that mimics fasting promotes multi-system regeneration, enhanced cognitive performance, and healthspan. In other word, fasting is probably the most powerful way to activate the body’s self-healing potential. http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(15)00224-7
Fasting is also important part of Yang-Sheng practice in China, Dr. Martin Eisen wrote a nice article about energetic fasting for Yang Sheng a while ago. Here is a link about his article: http://yang-sheng.com/?p=3874.
Health Ambition web site summarizes the benefits of fasting in more details, it may be a good place to get you started: https://www.healthambition.com/benefits-of-fasting/
Here is another article by Stephen H. Buhner talking specially about the health benefits of water fasting. (That is what we are teaching and doing during Qigong fasting.)
In summary, the research-supported health benefits of Bigu (fasting) include:
- Detoxification – especially digestive system
- Reduce weight by rebooting metabolic system (not the main goal, but it’s safe and effective way to lose weight)
- Adjust the spleen and stomach – 80% of those with stomach disease get cured after one bigu practice
- Beautify face and reduce wrinkling through self-melting, and increased micro-circulation
- Purify the blood and soften blood vessel (due to increased metabolism and autophasy)
- Boost immune system (the immune system reboot after 72 hours of fasting)
- Anti-cancer (no food, more oxygen, more body-heat during fasting)
- Repair the body to get rid of chronic diseases (self-healing & self-regeneration system)
- Slow down the aging process and return youth (prolong cellular life and live twice as long)
- Cultivate mind and wisdom – think more clearly and more sensitive after fasting
- Increase survival ability
- Build will power and positive energy
- Best way to start mind-body cultivation and spiritual practice…. (boost your sense of happiness)
Dr. Michael Mosley made a documentary on “Eat, Fast and Live Longer” for BBC. Here is a link to view the entire documentary: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms It is not surprised that scientists have long been interested in the relationship between fasting and longevity.
What: With years of personal experience and study of Bigu, Dr. Kevin Chen will offer his unique teaching of Qigong fasting at Baltimore during his next visit to the U.S. The class will teach (and practice):
- The basic theory and principles of Qigong fasting,
- The Mind technique of Bigu fasting (Mindset) — synchronize with the immortals and Gods
- Preparation skills for a fasting (physically and mentally)
- Information leading to fasting status (信息辟谷）
- The specific techniques on how to fast, including turtle breathing, skin-breathing meditation, gulping Qi fasting (服气辟谷）and a set of fasting Qigong exercises
- In-take fasting pill skills
- How to assess if you are doing it right, and what to do if you feel very hungry
- How to break the fasting (resume normal eating)
- Daily Q&A session.
Dr. Chen will share the techniques on how to cleanse and purify your body, including the liver, kidney and lungs, and lead the daily qigong practice during the training. Cleansing your body & blood of toxins helps balancing your energy! Students have joint Dr. Chen twice a year in the past for this type of training & spiritual practice…. The class will not only make your fasting easier and less suffering, but also share some ancient wisdom on diet and body cleanse in daily life.
When: March 27-30, 2020 (Friday to Monday)
- March 27 (Friday): 6:00 to 9:30pm
- March 28-29 (Saturday & Sunday): 9:00am to 1:00pm (Afternoon qigong practice optional)
- March 30 (Monday): 9:00–12:00pm
Where: The Conference Center at UMROI (Old Kernan Hospital)
2200 Kernan Drive, Gwynn Oak, MD 21207 (with Free Parking)
(There are some guest rooms available at the facility at $75 per night, there are some affordable motels and hotels in the area. You may also try AirBnB for near-by house live-in. Please contact Jeri after you register for more details on living arrangement).
Cost & Registration: $260 for four-day classes ($170 for repeated students) when pre-registration by March 8, 2020.
- Pre-registration by March 8: $260 ($170 for repeated students)
- After March 8: $300 for regular, $200 for repeated students.
- $50 deposit required (non-refundable) when registering
- 10% discount offered to UMB/UMROI employees, students & seniors 65+
- Pre-registration required, class is limited to the first 33 participants to ensure quality of teaching and interaction.
- Due to high demand from those out of state, we will have limited number of remote positions available in this workshop by Zoom video conference platform (Up to 18). Please contact Dr. Chen for details after registration.
- Registration closes by March 26, or when class limit is reached.
Click HERE to download the Fasting_Registration_2020 return the signed registration form with payment to register (Note: limited to 33 paid participants, so please register earlier for your spot).
Or you can register online with credit card by click the following link:
Note: Given the fact that the possibility of coronavirus wide spreading is increasing, and that the travel could be a major barrier for many who are interested in Qigong fasting, We are open some positions (18 maximum) for those who are seriously wanting to learn and practice Bigu fasting, but could not make it to Baltimore classroom this March. We will set-up the Zoom video conference room in advance, use both camera and shared screen to let people from remote sites to attend the entire fasting workshop with those who are attending in Baltimore. If you have been thinking of getting some formal training in qigong fasting, this is your opportunity! Please contact Dr. Chen for details after registration.
Note: The conditions that may not be appropriate to go through energetic fasting (Bigu) at this moment:
- Those who is currently having psychotic disorders, or a history of psychotic illness.
- Extreme physical weakness, or those who are so ill that cannot take care of themselves.
- Patients with following severe symptoms: internal bleeding or vomiting blood, ulcer perforation, serious infarction particularly, severe heart disease and angina pectoris, severe kidney disease, and the stage 2-3 pulmonary tuberculosis.
- The patients who have long-term use of insulin or epinephrine, or the liver, kidney and other organ transplant recipients.
- Growing children (under 16) and adults with less than 85 lb. in weight.
Please email Dr. Kevin Chen at Qigong4us at hotmail.com or Jeri Hemerlein at jerihemerleinqigong at gmail.com for more information. Thanks!
You may join us in the FREE Facebook group for discussion and updates:
This will become our yearly Qigong fasting training and teaching in Maryland as Dr. Chen is working in China now. With 19 years of personal experience and study of Qigong Bigu, Dr. Kevin Chen will offer his qigong training and teaching at Baltimore area about once a year.
Selected Testimony from previous participants:
“Since the fast, I have only taken 3 half doses of my blood pressure medication. My pressure now runs between 115-135/51-75 without medication….. I lost my taste for high carb/high sugar foods that I know are not good for me. — M.C.
“I felt incredibly at peace, happy, energized, healthy and upbeat. No chatter in my brain. I felt energized and comfortable in my skin and felt like I could finally get enough air. My stomach stopped hurting…. The shoulder, neuropathy pain, and tingling in the feet and hands went away. Afterwards, I was shocked that I was able to increase my range of stretch on my radiated side much more. The skin on my face looked bright and felt extra soft. I also noticed that some stubborn keloids that I had on my lower left abdomen healed in the center so that I had an inch of healthy healing in the middle of a very long keloid scar…. I felt wonderful during the fasting.” — F.H.
“This has changed my mind about water fasting. I have fasted with fresh vegetable juice many times before; now I can clearly see definite benefits of water fasting. The teachers were very informative, they helped me to release fears!” — C.W.
“Very interesting challenges. It lets you get in touch with yourself, appreciation for water, breathing and qigong exercises, and their role in healing…. (my) alleges were less, feet were better, and feel clear headed.” — M.F.
“Digestion better; mindfulness improved; meditation more focused…. If take the principles offered in the class, a person’s health will vastly improve.” — R.D.
“Very nice experience… My joint pain in hips & shoulders has been much less.” — P.T.
“I felt this fast was extremely successful! It was my first time and I actually fasted for a week, because I felt so good during the fasting. I had a wonderful time and it was mind-opening. It broke a lot of my assumptions about food and the body and was a lot of fun in the group setting.” — F.H.